TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - 100% agree on compound playing a bigger role, but...
People Seeking Info

Subject 100% agree on compound playing a bigger role, but...

Posted by en5 on November 27, 2015 at 5:18 PM
  This message has been viewed 452 times.

In Reply To Yes it's not exactly as simple, but look at the basics posted by BlackholeZ on November 27, 2015 at 01:59 PM

Message If you increase the width and proportionately decrease the length resulting in the same contact area that should have zero impact on lateral traction (or traction from any direction really, the tire compound does not know what direction it is moving).

If you have a 1x2 foot print or a 2x1 footprint you have the same effective frictional coefficient regardless of the direction of the force. The area is the same. The trouble is, you'll have a harder time getting the length to increase unless you get a larger radius tire - so for a standard vehicle (i.e. a car without open tires) you're generally going to be limited to going wider instead of taller (not taking sidewall flex into consideration).

I think the disagreement is coming that you're inferring the 225/245 standard tire sizes meet or approach the maximum limitations that the car can practically impose upon them (with the appropriate corresponding tires), thus making any increase to the width without merit as the weight of the car (specifically the Z32) will not introduce any additional force to necessitate the available increase of surface area on a wider tire.

I'm not quite sold on this idea but hey I'm open to continued civilized discussion and I appreciate the response.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.